Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Try It" Tuesday- Special K Nourish Review

Since I was offline last month, I was able to try some new things that I will be sharing with you in the next few weeks. 
Most of the time, I like to share things that I really like.
BUT, if I didn't tell you about the flops, I would be doing you a great disservice. 

I can't wait to try new foods. Not necessarily meals, but small food items like snack bars, cereals, etc.
For example, when I saw this on sale in the grocery store, I was totally excited:
I tossed it in my bag on the way to work and looked forward to a delicious, filling breakfast.
I first suspected trouble when I added the water to the fill line, which is only about 1/3 cup. Being a huge oatmeal fan, I knew there was NO way the oatmeal would expand to fill the cup.

In plain English: Nice packaging, but here's how much oatmeal you really get:
Don't believe me? Here's an actual shot of the prepared oatmeal:
That is a bit depressing, right? What's up with the other 2/3's of the cup?

I tried to convince myself that this is what I get for only 190 calories... I shouldn't really expect for the cup to be full, right?
Still, I couldn't help but think about how McDonald's Fruit and Maple oatmeal has only 50 more calories, but is 2-3 times more of a serving than this!
Sigh.
Maybe it's just me. Maybe it was the quinoa, but this oatmeal was definitely not working for me AT ALL.
There are too many different textures going on and the flavor just falls flat. Literally.
There was hardly any flavor at all, in fact.
I probably ate three bites before I decided it was time to toss the rest and pop open a
protein shake I had on standby- (Thanks, Umas!)

I can't tell you how much I was really wanting to like this stuff.
All I can say is: Kudos to Kellogg's marketing staff...they really build this stuff up in the commercials.
Too bad it falls short in reality (and I actually like Special K stuff!)
I may have been able to get over the tiny portion size if the taste was better, but I just couldn't do it.
I actually like to enjoy my breakfast. 

Guess I'll stick with the old reliable for now...now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment